Thursday, May 6, 2010

I DO



Ok... so here's the honest truth (and yes that's Dennis and I on August 12th, 2007):

I am a self-proclaimed Wedding L-O-V-E-R.

Of course like every girl I've dreamed of my wedding since approximately 37 seconds before I was catapulted out of the womb and into the hands of all who had the honor of witnessing my arrival into this world.

Then I came thisclose to making the mistake of marrying my highschool boyfriend.  As I've said before, I was WAY more excited about the wedding planning than I ever could've been about the prospect of being married to my then fiance. 

We visited a wedding planner (because I thought I was a rockstar and deserved the celebrity treatment...silly, silly TV) and I was hooked.  First of all, the planner's name was Melanie and I adored her from our first consultation.  She ended up being like a big sister I never had and who I totally looked up to. (I was blessed with two brothers complete with being farted on and being told I was adopted...)

We were at approximately our third consultation when we got talking and she asked if I knew anyone looking for a part-time job who might be able to help her out.  Ummm.....  HELLO.  My name is MIRANDA.  I want to be your LADY.  And so it began....

I loved every minute of it.  After the wedding was called off and I skipped town I completely lost touch with her.  I've psych-stalker Googled her many times to no avail.  But I didn't lose touch with the feeling I had when planning a wedding.  Some brides become totally overwhelmed by the planning and avoidable chaos that surrounds a wedding but I absolutely love it. 

I've since worked as an event coordinator at an absolutely stunning venue and loved it still.  I never tired of fluffing the brides dress and being with her in that moment of nerves right before she walked down the aisle.  I never tired of the look on the grooms face when he sees his bride for the first time or when you see the bridesmaids sneaking each other tissues during the ceremony. 

And I've even planned my own wedding in two insane weeks under some very extreme circumstances.  (That's a WHOLE other story... to check it out click HERE).

Last year I had a sudden change of career and have missed the wedding planning business beyond belief.  But guess what?!  In one way or another I'm currently a part of FIVE weddings.  If I had a Happy Dance you can bet I'd be up off my seat right now. 

Wedding #1 - A girl I know from work is getting married this June 12th.  Due to some wedding drama she came to me last week asking for my (ahem!) professional help - ha!  So I'm stepping in to help her get her life together in this last month and will likely be there the day of to make sure she finally gets to enjoy the fact that she's getting married. 

Wedding #2 - My brother-in-law is getting married this September. The hubby and I are both standing in the wedding and I am beyond ecstatic at the thought of walking down the aisle with him again.  We never had the big reception so this should be epic all around.   Plus my dress is stunning (if only I were worthy :)

Wedding #3 - Our friends from Montana are getting married in Vegas next May.  The groom is a friend of mine from college and his fiance is an absolute doll.  She has totally let me be her wedding guru and I love it. 

Wedding #4 - My boss' son is getting married next June.  After 7 years and 2 kids they've finally decided to set a date and his wife-to-be has asked for my help.  There is nothing better than someone trusting you with something you love.  We've already been discussing preliminary plans and I think its going to be an amazing wedding.

Wedding #5 - My former coworker and friend is getting married next July.  They are getting married at the venue I used to work at and the very same place my husband and I were married.  (Downfall - seeing my old boss who I did not give a two weeks notice to but rather left a note on her desk with my key.  Solid.)  But they've got phenomenal taste so it will inevitably be a beautiful affair and being a bridesmaid I'll get to be on the front line of all of the planning and festivities. 

So there you have it.  The next year is going to be wedding overload and I couldn't be happier with that.  My hope is to take some photos from all of them and be able to build a good portfolio so this girl can kiss "normal" work goodbye and have my own event planning business.  So in honor of all the wedding jazz, I'm loosely dubbing Wednesday posts "Wedding Wednesdays."  (ok kinda lame - any thoughts for a way cooler name?)  I'll share some of the plans as they're coming together, photos of plans, etc.  I might even ask for your advice so strap on your creative cap and lets DO THIS!


4 comments:

  1. PS If you want to watch a truly beautiful wedding video watch this - makes me long for a do-over for sure. The venue in this video is where my hubby and I would love to have a blowout 5-year anniversary/reception.

    http://www.wedfact.tv/2009/07/14/jaime-nicholas-a-river-birch-lodge-wedding/wedding-film-videographer-take-1-productions-11524.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn... it makes me wish that I had you to help me the day of our wedding.... cause it was a DISASTER....anywho...this was a fun post to read:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shanel! I totally wish I was there too! I would've made your wedding my bitch for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love planning anything. Mostly because I'm so over organized that I drive everyone else to drink. On my wedding day? I had an itinerary down to 15 minute time slots and marked down when people could pee.

    I'm nothing if not efficient.

    ReplyDelete